Part 1-Harnessing the Power of Circadian Rhythms for Taming the Appetite and Reducing Inflammation
As we begin to enter the holiday season at the end of this month (October), we want you to be prepared to face the holidays and come out on the other side successfully. Therefore, throughout this month we will focus on easy strategies for taming the appetite. We will begin with exploring how circadian rhythms can be a game-changer for appetite control and overall well-being.
Circadian rhythms are the body's internal clocks, regulating various physiological processes throughout the day. Best known for their influence on the sleep-wake cycles, yet they also have a pivotal role in appetite and metabolism also.
How can circadian rhythms be a game-changer for appetite control?
The Circadian Appetite Connection:
Your circadian rhythms play a significant role in regulating appetite. They dictate when you feel hungry and when you naturally experience periods of fullness. Understanding these patterns can help you make informed decisions about timing of meals and the need for consistency.1
Timing of Meals:
Research suggests that eating in harmony with your circadian rhythms, such as having a substantial breakfast and lunch, and a lighter dinner, at consistent times through the week including weekends, improves appetite control, reduces late-night cravings, promotes a sense of fullness, and naturally encourages an earlier bedtime.2
Impact on Hormones:
Circadian rhythms influence the secretion of hormones like cortisol and melatonin. Disruptions in these rhythms, such as from irregular sleep patterns, can lead to imbalances in hunger hormones, potentially increasing appetite.3
The Role of Sunlight Exposure:
Getting sunlight in the morning can improve the synchronization of your internal clock and improve appetite control. Sunlight exposure during the day, such as eating lunch outside or taking a digestive walk after lunch, helps regulate circadian rhythms and further enhancement of appetite control. 4
Consistency is Key:
Maintaining a consistent daily schedule, including regular mealtimes and sleep patterns, can help your body's circadian rhythms function optimally. This consistency can lead to improved appetite regulation and better overall health.5
Circadian rhythms are a natural and powerful influence on your appetite. By understanding and respecting these internal clocks, you can improve your ability to control hunger, reduce cravings, and maintain a healthier relationship with food. Aligning eating patterns with circadian rhythms of physiology can be a sustainable and effective strategy for taming your appetite and promoting overall well-being. Embrace the wisdom of your internal clocks and take control of your appetite naturally. In our next Wednesday blog, we will cover Part 2-Easy Nutritional Strategies for Taming the Appetite.
Should you need some extra support throughout the holiday season, we are in your corner and will be happy to help you! Click link below to get started getting the help you need.
1. Hatori, M., Vollmers, C., Zarrinpar, A., Ditacchio, L., Bushong, E. A., Gill, S., ... & Panda, S. (2012). Time-restricted feeding without reducing caloric intake prevents metabolic diseases in mice fed a high-fat diet. Cell Metabolism, 15(6), 848-860.
2. Jakubowicz, D., Barnea, M., Wainstein, J., & Froy, O. (2013). High caloric intake at breakfast vs. dinner differentially influences weight loss of overweight and obese women. Obesity, 21(12), 2504-2512.
3. Scheer, F. A., Hilton, M. F., Mantzoros, C. S., & Shea, S. A. (2009). Adverse metabolic and cardiovascular consequences of circadian misalignment. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 106(11), 4453-4458.
4. Roenneberg, T., & Merrow, M. (2016). The circadian clock and human health. Current Biology, 26(10), R432-R443.
5. Zitting, K. M., Vujovic, N., Yuan, R. K., Isherwood, C. M., Medina, J. E., Wang, W., ... & Duffy, J. F. (2018). Human resting energy expenditure varies with circadian phase. Current Biology, 28(22), 3685-3690.